At CF Warriors we respect your privacy and are committed to protecting your personal information in line with Data Protection Law.
We constantly review how we use your information to aid us in our mission to raise awareness of the importance of sport and exercise to those with cystic fibrosis. This page details our approach to privacy and how we use and store information. It applies to the personal information of our supporters and potential supporters.
If you have any questions, or want to check, change or update your details at any time, please contact us.
By Post: CF Warriors, 3 Middlegate Walk, Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan, CF71 7LA
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who we are
CF Warriors is a UK based charity dedicated to the relief of sickness and the preservation of health among people with cystic fibrosis by:
- Providing funding for research into cystic fibrosis, in particular the treatment of the disease, and the effects of exercise on people with cystic fibrosis
- Providing goods and/or equipment that can be used to aid the fitness and health of people with cystic fibrosis and support and practical advice for carrying out appropriate forms of exercise
Our registered charity number is 1178063. When we use the word ‘we’ in this policy, it means the charity
Your data – what information we collect
Information we obtain about you directly
This covers information that you have chosen to tell us directly yourself. When you get in touch with us to make a donation, request information or support us in any other way, we may process the following types of personal information about you:
- Contact details (e.g. address, landline and mobile number, email address).
- Your interactions with CF Warriors. This could include your donation history; your responses to our communications; information you’ve shared with us about why you have supported us; events, meetings and fundraising activities you’ve taken part in or shown an interested in; volunteering you’ve done to help us and gifts you’ve made in honour of others on our website.
- Financial information.
- The country you are in.
- Date of birth.
- Any preferences about your interests and how you like to be contacted.
- Gender and Clothes sizes
We do not usually ask you for sensitive personal data unless there is a clear reason for us to do so. However, we may need to ask for sensitive information about your health, for example, if you are participating in an event. You may also wish to share information about your health if you decide to speak out about your experience of cystic fibrosis. If you do, we will always treat it sensitively and ask you on every occasion if you are still willing to share it further in the form of case studies or media interviews.
Any sensitive information shared through the CF Warriors website will be treated confidentially as outlined in Section 9 of this Privacy Notice.
Information you give to us indirectly
This covers information that you don’t share with us directly but that is shared with us by other organisations with your permission. This might happen if you have used independent fundraising platforms (e.g. JustGiving or Virgin Money Giving) or if you’ve set up an online tribute page in memory of a loved one (e.g. Much Loved). We’ll only receive your information from these companies if you have given permission for them to share it with us.
We may also record and share information that you have shared with us publicly on social media (e.g. Facebook or Twitter). We may on occasion use your email address to communicate with you via social media sites, where you have provided us with that address. For example, those supporters who signed up to take part in our Wednesday Warriors one year may receive notifications on their Facebook timeline explaining that we are looking for Wednesday Warriors again.
We may ask your permission to review third party data about you through social channels, for example, your Twitter or Facebook feeds, to get to know you better and to provide more effective personalisation. Some of our services enable you to sign-in via a third party service, such as Facebook. If you choose to sign-in via a third party app, you will be presented with a dialogue box which will ask your permission to allow CF Warriors to access your personal information (e.g. your full name, date of birth, email address and any other information you have made publicly accessible). Please note that any information that is not required by the particular service you have opted to use will not be retained.
If you have provided consent for another organisation to share your personal information with us, but you no longer wish to hear from us, you can change your mind at any time. Just contact us using the information at the top of the page.
Information about you obtained from third parties
This covers information that has been shared with us about you by someone else, for example from a friend who wants to send you a gift or make a donation in your name.
We may also collect personal information about you from service providers, the press, search engines, social media (e.g. LinkedIn / Facebook) and reputable public data sources (e.g. Companies House, the Charity Commission, Land Registry). Personal information we may collect via these channels may include your job title, directorships, contact information, demographic data (including estimated income and property value), date and size of previous donations to other charities, details of philanthropic activities you engage in, etc. We may use this information to build a profile of you (i.e. your interests, preferences, demographics and level of potential donations) to enable us to tailor fundraising efforts and communications based on your circumstances and interests, and how likely you are to support CF Warrior’s work. This helps us understand our supporters better and helps us make appropriate requests for support or gifts to supporters who might be able and willing to give more than they already do, and ensures that we are making the best use of our resources.
We may combine information we have obtained about you from these third party sources with other information that we hold about you for this purpose and the purposes described in Section 3 below.
How do we use your information?
We may use the personal information we collect to:
- Provide you with the information, service or a product you have asked for.
- Administer any donation you have given us, support your fundraising and process Gift Aid.
- Build a detailed picture of your interests and preferences so that we can tailor our services, communications and financial asks to suit you.
- Let you know about the latest research and how your support makes a difference, as well as ways you can get involved and help fund our work.
- Understand how you use and interact with our products and services (e.g. our website) to enable us to make improvements.
- Comply with legal and regulatory requirements and protect against fraud.
- Help diagnose problems with our website and server, administer our website, compile broad statistical data and update and maintain our website.
- Ensure security and detect and protect against fraud.
- Further our charitable aims.
As outlined in Section 2, we may use profiling and screening techniques to build a profile of you, including your interests, preferences, demographic information and potential ability to financially support our work in future. This helps us to tailor our requests for support, and identify and further engage those supporters who may be willing and able to provide a transformational gift to support life-changing research.
Your information is only used if we have legal grounds to do so which might be because you have provided consent; it is necessary to allow us to deal with your request, enquiry or purchase; we have a legal or regulatory obligation to do so; or the information is being used legitimately to further our charitable aims.
Who we share your personal information with
We do not swap, sell or rent your personal information to anyone.
As part of our day-to-day work, we may engage service providers who operate on our behalf. In these circumstances, they will only have access to the personal information they need to fulfil that service and will only use that information for the purposes for which they have been instructed by us. Examples of service providers include a printer who is personalising the communications we send to you or a payment provider who processes donations for us.
If we are asked to share your details with other organisations that aren’t our service providers, we will only do so if: we have your permission; we have a legal or regulatory obligation to do so; we need to enforce any agreements we have with you or investigate any complaints; we need to protect the rights, property and safety of CF Warriors and its supporters; or we merge or link with another charity.
Where we store your personal information
Your personal information will only be stored in the UK. However, there may be rare occasions when your information is transferred outside the UK to areas with less strict data protection laws compared with those in the UK and the European Economic Area (EEA).
If this does happen, we take legally-required steps to make sure that adequate safeguards are in place to protect your personal information and privacy rights.
How long we keep your personal information
Without your support we simply wouldn’t exist and because of this we value every interaction we experience with you. We believe it’s important to remember our history together – especially if you get back in touch with us or leave us a gift in your Will.
However, as with all relationships, we know that things can change and we understand that you may choose to take a break from supporting CF Warriors.
Therefore, if we don’t hear from you at all after 3 years we will stop marketing to you and after 5 years of inactivity we will treat your data in accordance with our data retention policy which may mean deleting or archiving it. Please also be assured that we never store credit card details under any circumstances.
You have the right to request that we delete your details at any stage.
By Post: CF Warriors, 3 Middlegate Walk, Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan, CF71 7LA
By Email: email@example.com
Your rights and how to make a complaint
You have the right to opt-out of marketing and fundraising communications and you can change your contact preferences at any time. You may also opt-out of the profiling and screening described in Section 3.
To exercise any of these rights, or to change or update the information we hold about you, please contact our team using the details at the top of the page. You can also click on the ‘unsubscribe’ button on all marketing and fundraising emails to opt-out of receiving future communications from us by email.
You may have the right to request access to, or deletion of, personal information we hold about you. You may also be able to restrict how we use your information. Please contact us if you would like to exercise any of these additional rights and we will assess your request on a case by case basis in line with Data Protection Law.
If you have a complaint about how we use your personal information, please contact us. If you are not satisfied with our response, you may lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
If you would like to stop our cookies from being stored on your computer in future, you can do so by following instructions on your Internet browser. You can do this by clicking on the Help menu. If you do turn off our cookies, you may not be able to access certain services or facilities we offer.
We also use some of Google’s services to help us see how well our website is working and to show people information through some of Google’s websites and partner websites. You may see CF Warriors promoting our work on some of the webpages you visit, and some of these adverts are related to your location and interests or your interactions with our website. We also advertise on sites such as Facebook using similar behavioural and targeted advertising technology. For more information about how cookies and online advertising work or how to control your privacy online, please visit the www.youronlinechoices.com/uk.
Keeping You Updated
Any information provided to CF Warriors will be treated confidentially, in accordance with Data Protection Law and this Privacy Notice.
We may ask you whether you would like to be kept up-to-date with our work and how you can financially support us and allow you to opt-in to a range of communications from CF Warriors. If you do, we will process your information as outlined in the sections above.
Research team GDPR statement
Download our GDPR statement that explains how CF Warriors Research Team handles personal data about our grant applications and the rights that applicants have under data protection law. In this Notice, we refer to this type of information as “Applicant Data”.
CF WARRIORS-RESEARCH TEAM PRIVACY NOTICE
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
This notice explains how CF Warriors Research Team handles personal data about our grant applications and the rights that applicants have under data protection law. In this Notice, we refer to this type of information as “Applicant Data”.
“CF Warriors” means CF Warriors and its operating companies and business functions as existing from time to time.
WHY WE ASK FOR CERTAIN INFORMATION:
CF Warriors Research Team will only collect personal data during application process that is necessary to assess the grant you have applied for and its participants. This data may be used for the following purposes:
- to process applications for funding and for administration of the grants we fund
- to send you correspondence and communicate with you about your grant application
- to respond to or fulfil any requests, complaints or queries you make to us
- to invite you to act as a peer reviewer on grant applications
- to generate reports on our work, services and events
- to communicate with the general public and our supporters about the research we fund
- to meet our legal obligations, for instance to perform contracts between you and us, or our obligations to regulators, government and/or law enforcement bodies
- to carry out fraud prevention and money laundering checks
- to establish, defend or enforce legal claims
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION ABOUT YOU:
- You may give us your information in order to apply for research funding, use our information services or otherwise communicate with us. The types of personal information we collect includes:
- your name and contact details (including postal address, telephone number, email address and/or social media identity)
- information necessary to process your application if you apply for research funding, such as your employment history and, the employment history of those whose salary will be funded by the grant
- any other personal information you provide to us
WHAT WILL CF WARRIOR’S RESEARCH TEAM DO WITH YOUR APPLICATION DATA
It will be used to support and process your grant application, for example, to assess whether the application meets the grant specification, to shortlist applicants and to verify references and professional qualifications provided by those applicants
- we may also process your Application Data to comply with our legal obligations or where information is being used to legitimately further our charitable aims
TO WHOM YOUR APPLICATION DATA DISCLOSED
A. Our Organisation
CF Warriors restricts access to Application Data to people within CF Warriors who have a “need to know” business reason for accessing that information. For example, certain individuals within CF Warriors will have access to your Application Data in order to process and manage your grant application.
B. Outside CF Warriors
We will never sell or rent your information to third parties for marketing purposes. However, we may disclose Application Data to third parties in connection with the other purposes set out in this policy. These third parties may include:
- CF Warriors shares Application Data with authorised third party service providers in order to conduct and manage grant applications. If you are a researcher; volunteer advisory panel members, any joint funders of the research, host institutions and external members of our committees such as business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors, for example, may process your information on our behalf
- We send information to external agencies to process and analyse sector wide data in aggregate, such as to the Association of Medical Research Charities. In addition, we share information on the research we fund with our supporters and the general public, for example via CF Warrior’s website. In both cases, the information presented will consist of the researcher’s name, name of the Institution where the research is being carried out, the title of the grant, the total amount awarded, key dates, a summary of the research, and any other piece of information that is deemed relevant
EXERCISING YOUR RIGHTS
You may have the right to request access to, or rectification, or erasure of the Application Data that CF Warriors holds about you. You may also have the right to restrict or object to certain types of processing of your Application Data.
If you notice an error in your application that you would like to correct, please contact us using the contact information in paragraph 7 below.
Any requests to exercise one of these rights will be assessed by CF Warriors on a case by case basis. There may be circumstances where we are not legally required to comply with your request because of the laws in your jurisdiction or because of exemptions provided for in data protection legislation.
If you have any concerns about the way CF Warriors has handled your Application Data or would like to exercise any of your rights, please write to us here – CF Warriors, 3 Middlegate Walk, Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan, CF71 7LA or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are still dissatisfied, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO); however, all complaints should be raised with CF Warriors in the first instance.